Markland, & Blaketown
to Trinity Bay
Sir Robert Bond Park
Heritage Museum/ Railroaders Memorial
Regatta & Folk Festival - Last week in July
Wetlands Conservation Trail
town of Whitbourne is located just off the TransCanada
Highway on Route 81. Newfoundlands first inland town, it
is named after Sir Richard Whitbourne, who was appointed by the
High Court of the Admiralty to set up the first English law court
in the New Word in 1615 and who was kidnapped and held by the
notorious Pirate Peter Easton.
Bond, Prime Minister of Newfoundland from 1900-1908, built the Grange,
a country estate and model farm in the town. Today the Grange is part
of the Sir Robert Bond Park.The town had a connection to the railway dating
back to the turn of the century. Collections about the role of the town
in the railway, the Newfoundland Ranger Force, the sawmill industry, Sir
Robert Bond, and early 20th century life are on display at the Whitbourne
Heritage Museum / Railroader's Memorial.
with a population of 930 (2001 census), has many of the amenities of a
small town that has traditionally been a regional service centre. The
towns Wetlands Conservation Trail is of interest to many visitors.
Markland Cottage Winery
just beyond Whitbourne on Route 81, is an inland community, founded as
an experimental land settlement or agricultural community in 1934. The
name Markland was chosen from the word for forest land in
the Norse sagas.
Today it is the home of the Rodrigues' Markland Cottage Winery, which
uses local berries to produce a high quality wine, including blueberry
and bakeapple. The Winery offers tours to visitors.
Markland Cottage Winery
Beothuck Archaeological Site
Russell's Point site in Blaketown was discovered in 1988
by William Gilbert and Ken Reynolds during an archaeological survey
conducted to locate a Beothuck camp described in the journals
of John Guy and Henry Crout of the Cupids Colony (Founded
in 1610) They recounted finding three Beothuk dwellings and a
canoe on 26 October, 1612.
Point, Dildo Pond
Photo: Baccalieu Trail Heritage Corporation
were conducted at the site over a four year period between 1994
and 1997 and indicate that the site was a fall and winter base
camp occupied by the Beothuk and their prehistoric ancestors from
circa AD 1000 to circa AD 1650. There is a display at South
Dildo Museum and Site Interpretation Centre at Russell's
Point. Brochures are available at Russell's Garage.
McEntegart Art Studio is located in Blaketown.