Harbour Grace is located on Route 70 in scenic Conception Bay.
Harbour Grace now has access to The Veterans Memorial Highway,
which exits unto The Trans Canada Highway. The Town is approximately 100 km from St. John's, the capital city of Newfoundland.
• Total Population: 3600
Industries / Economic Activity:
• Harbour Grace is a government service centre and many people are employed by government offices.
•Agriculture - Savory and vegetable farm family owned and operated.
•Fishery - Cold storage plant and port where foreign vessels store shrimp and restock supplies for the next voyage. During peak production this plant employs up to 100 people.
•Forestry - Lumber yard and truss plant.
•Manufacturing / Retail - Shoe / boot manufacturing plant employing approximately 150 workers. Mattress and
•Construction - construction companies
•Tourism - During the summer of 1998, 9,996 visitors signed the register at the local tourist chalet. It is one of the fastest growing industries.
Municipal Tax Structure:
The residential and business tax rates in the Town of Harbour Grace are competitive with other towns on the Baccalieu Trail.
• Harbour Grace became incorporated as a municipality on July 10, 1945. Harbour Grace Town Council consists of six councillors and a mayor. A copy of the Town Plan can be obtained at the Harbour Grace Town Council office.
• Water and Sewer available in most areas of town
• Garbage Collection on a weekly basis
• RV Dumping Station (3)
• Petroleum Reclamation
• Fire Protection Services - Harbour Grace Volunteer Fire Department (42
firefighters and 5 trucks).
• Marina (The total length of the wharf is 1800 ft. The lowest normal tide is 10 ft. The gut entrance is 70 ft. There are 150 berths available. Welcomes as many as 150 vessels.)
• Average price of a three-bedroom bungalow: $45,000
• Average rental cost of a house: $350 - $400 per month
• Average rental cost of a two-bedroom apartment: $350 per month
• Home heating sources available include wood, electric, oil, and propane
• Roman Catholic Churches
• Church of Christ
Law Enforcement / Crime Prevention:
• Law Enforcement / Crime Prevention
• Royal Canadian Mounted Police Detachment - 27 RCMP Officers / 11 Vehicles
• Crime Prevention Committee , 1 community policing officer
Avalon West School Board
Harbour Grace Primary Grades k-4
St. Francis School, Grades 5-9
Carbonear Collegiate, Grades 8-12
• Public and Private Post-Secondary Facilities are available in Carbonear and nearby Bay Roberts
• Keyin College
• College of the North Atlantic
• Canadian Training Institute
• Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's,
• Taxi Service
• Bus Service to and from St. John's daily
• Telecommunications (Telephone, Internet and Cellular Service)
• Media Services - Regional and Provincial Newspapers, Cable TV with
digital cable, Satellite, Community Channel, regional radio station at Carbonear
• Various Recreation Facilities (e.g. Softball field, Recreation Center, Playground, Soccer field, Tennis courts, Stadium, Curling Club, Baseball Field, Rugby Field, & Track,
• Development Organizations (The Heritage Advisory, Harbour Authorities)
• Others (church groups)
• Lumber Yard
• Service Stations
• Post Office
• Car Dealers
• Beauty Salon
• Convenience Stores
• Liquor Store
• Funeral Home
• Flower Shop
• Denture Clinic
• Piano Service
• And more...
• Harbour Grace Advisory
• The Masonic Lodge
• The Loyal Orange Lodge
• The Knights of Columbus
• The Royal Canadian Legion
For More Information:
The Town of Harbour Grace
P.O. Box 310
Harbour Grace, NL A0A 2M0
Telephone: (709) 596-3042
Fax: (709) 596-1991