Located on Route 80 in beautiful Trinity Bay just 55 km from the Trans Canada Highway, and 130 km from the capital city, St. John's. The hospitality shown by local residents has become wide spread as many tourists will testify. Each year tourists from all over visit the community to get a taste of what rural life in Newfoundland is all about!
• Total Population: 840
Industries / Economic Activity:
• Traditionally local residents made their living from the sea, despite the down turn in the cod fishery some of the residents turned to fishing other species and still remain in the fishery today. There are several small businesses where local residents are employed and many commute to nearby towns for employment. The major employer within the community is a heavy equipment operator and construction company.
•Fishery - Multi species
•Construction - Heavy Equipment & Construction Company
•Manufacturing - Manufacturing lawn ornaments & patio blocks, and a boat building facility
•Tourism / Heritage
Municipal Tax Structure:
• The residential and business tax rates in the Town of Heart's Delight / Islington are competitive with other towns on the Baccalieu Trail.
A copy of the Town Plan can be obtained at The Heart's Delight /
Islington Town Hall.
• Hearts Delight/ Islington became incorporated October 24, 2020 and presently has six councillors and a mayor.
• Water and Sewer available in most areas of Town
• Garbage Collection on a weekly basis
• Fire Protection Services - Heart's Delight / Islington Volunteer Fire Department
• Average price of a three-bedroom bungalow: $35,000
• Average rental cost of a house: $375 per month
• Average rental cost of a two-bedroom apartment: $375 per month
• Home heating sources available include wood, electric, oil, and propane
• United Church
• Anglican Church
Law Enforcement / Crime Prevention:
• Royal Canadian Mounted Police - Harbour Grace Detachment (45 km) - 27 Police Officers / 11 Vehicles
• Citizens on Patrol Group
• There is an alarm system monitored by the Heart's Delight Islington Fire Department and installed at most business locations whereby in the event that the alarm should sound the fire dept would monitor the situation until the RCMP arrives.
Avalon West School Board
• Epiphany Elementary, Grades k-8
• Crescent Collegiate Grades 7-12
• Public and Private Post-Secondary Facilities are available in Carbonear and nearby Bay Roberts
• Keyin College
• College of the North Atlantic
• Canadian Training Institute
• Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's,
• Taxi service to Carbonear
• Telecommunications (Telephone, Internet and Cellular Service)
• Media Services - Regional and Provincial Newspapers, Cable TV with 24 channels, Community Channel, regional radio station at Carbonear
• Various Recreation Facilities (e.g. Softball field, Outdoor Swimming Pool, Playground, etc.)
• Development Organizations (Heart's Delight / Islington Development Association)
• Others (church groups, Beavers)
• Gas Station
• Grocery Store
• Beauty Salon
• Convenience store
• Flower Shop
• Craft Shop
• Night Club
• Society of United Fisherman
• Fire Brigade / Fire Brigade Ladies Aux.
• Seniors Club
• Take Out
For more information:
The Town of Heart's Delight Islington
P.O. Box 129
Heart's Delight, NL A0B 2A0
Fax: (709) 588-2235