The name "Brigus" comes from the "Brickhouse" which was the name of an old town in England.
Brigus' history dates back to around 1612, when John Guy (famous for the Town of Cupids) sold half of the Harbour to the Spracklin family. At this time Brigus was mostly settled by people from England, Ireland and Wales.
Brigus is located approximately 80 km west of St. John's, the capital city of Newfoundland, and is accessible via Route 70-A just 18 km from the Trans Canada Highway
(TCH) and just 14 km from the Veterans Memorial Highway. Brigus is central to most of the communities in scenic Conception Bay. Come visit the many historic sites and have a stroll along the winding, narrow streets!
• Total Population: 785
Industries / Economic Activity:
• Agriculture - Farming of root crops & blueberries
• Fishery - Two fish processing plants
• Manufacturing / Retail - Manufacturing of cabinets, desks and other office furniture.
• Construction - Privately owned housing construction and contracting limited.
Municipal Tax Structure:
• The residential and business tax rates in the Town of Brigus are competitive with other towns on the Baccalieu Trail.
• Brigus became incorporated on July 21st, 1964 and its council consists of 6 councillors and a mayor. The Town of Brigus has a Municipal Plan for the years of 1993 -
2003. A copy of the town plan is available at the Town Hall.
• Water and Sewer available in most areas of town
• Garbage Collection on a weekly basis
• Recycling Boxes available in Town
• Fire Protection Services - Brigus Volunteer Fire Department ( 25
firefighters and 3 trucks)
• Average price of a three-bedroom bungalow: $40,000
• Average rental cost of a house: $400 - $500 per month
• Average rental cost of a two-bedroom apartment: $350-$450 per month
• Home heating sources available include wood, electric, oil, and propane
• United, Anglican, & Roman Catholic
Law Enforcement / Crime Prevention:
• Royal Canadian Mounted Police - Bay Roberts Detachment (12 km) - 27 Police Officers / 11 Vehicles
• RCMP Site Office in Brigus where an RCMP Officer works several days per week.
Avalon West School Board
All Hallows School, North River, Grades K-7
Amalgamated Academy, Bay Roberts Grades 4-9
• Ascension Collegiate,
Public and Private Post-Secondary Facilities are available in Carbonear and nearby Bay Roberts
• Keyin College
• College of the North Atlantic
• Canadian Training Institute
• Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's,
• Bus Service to and from St. John's daily (one on TCH, one on Conception Bay Highway)
• Telecommunications (Telephone, Internet and Cellular Service,
• Media Services - Regional and provincial newspapers, Cable TV, Satellite,
Community Channel, regional radio station at Carbonear
• Various Recreation Facilities (e.g. Softball field, Recreation Center, Playground, multi purpose court, etc.)
• Development Organizations (Brigus - Cupids Development Coordinating Sub-Committee, Brigus Development Organization)
• Others (church groups, Sea Cadets, Sparkes & Brownies)
• Insurance Agency
• Service Station
• Grocery Store
• Retail Store
• Beauty Salon
• Convenience Stores
• Funeral Home
• Flower Shop
• Courier Service
• Dance School / Studio
• Royal Canadian Legion
• Legion Ladies Auxiliary
• Navy League
• Loyal Orange Lodge / LOBA
• Fire Brigade / Fire Brigade Ladies Aux.
• Recreation Committee
• Historical Society
• Brigus Library Board
• Blueberry Festival Committee
• Knights of Columbus
• Women's Institute
For further information contact:
The Town of Brigus
P.O. Box 220
Brigus, NL A0A 1K0
Telephone: (709) 528-4588
Fax: (709) 528-4588