to Conception Bay
with View of Carbonear Island
Railway Station Museum
The Rorke Premises Museum
Plaque to Princess Sheila
Harbour Rock Hill
Trinity-Conception Regional Community Centre
Carbonear Day - 1st Mon in Aug
Folk Festival - Last week in July
NaGeira Theatre Festival -July/Aug
Visit T-C Square Shopping Centre
Town Recreation Centre
Indoor Swimming Pool
Extensive Walking Trails
seated like a jewel in a peaceful valley, is a beautiful town.
As one of the largest towns on the Trail (population 4759 -2001
census), it has all the services expected in a modern town, including
a regional shopping centre, the regional community centre which
has a large, modern library, the regional hospital, and a large
recreational facility, which includes an indoor swimming pool,
tennis courts, a basketball court, baseball fields, a soccer field,
and an athletic track.
Conception Regional Community Center
Conception Bay Regional Community Center houses a 384 seat
theatre featuring concerts and theatricals almost every weekend.
In the summer months the Nageira Theatre Festival provides first
class entertainment. The new theatre is now the official home
of the annual Kiwanis Music Festival. It also houses the council
office and public library. Next door to the Community center is
the Railway Station Museum, which provides a window on the town's
one of the oldest towns in North America, having been first mentioned
by Fishing Admirals in 1550, has a rich cultural history which
includes pirates, battles, a princess and a prosperous fishery.
As you enter the town, you can see Carbonear Island, the site
of a number of battles, located at the mouth of the harbour. In
1812 Mr H.C.Watts requested three guns to protect the town from
American privateers. Two of the guns can be seen today on Harbour
Rock Hill. Heritage Structures, museums, and monuments add to
the historic feel of the town.
Rorke Premises, which is a rare existing example of a merchant
fishery premises in Newfoundland, have been renovated to include
an Interpretation Centre. John Rorke, a native of Athlone, County
Caven, Ireland came to Newfoundland as a clerk. In 1838 he moved
to Carbonear and bought out the premises of an existing business.
The Rorke Stores, which were constructed entirely of wood, were
built in the 1870s and remained in use until the 1970s. They form
an integral part of the mercantile history of the community, as
well as the fishing heritage of the region.
Across the street from the Rorke merchant store houses stands
Rorke's Stone Jug, the oldest existing building on Water Street
in Carbonear and the only building of its kind in the community,
as it is of stone construction. Members of the family say the
present structure was built in 1863 and that the slabs of stone
were cut at Kelly's Island. There were living quarters above the
Earle Promenade, Tract Consulting Photograph
Legend of the Irish Princess Sheila NaGeira
to legend Sheila Na Geira was a young Irish woman of noble birth,
who became the "Carbonear Princess." As the story goes, in 1602
Sheila’s ship, crew, and passengers were captured by Dutch pirates.
Peter Easton, who at that time was a privateer working for Queen
Elizabeth I, freed the captives, taking them to Newfoundland.
On the way, Sheila and Gilbert Pike, the navigation officer, fell
in love and married. Gilbert Pike left Easton’s crew when Easton
became a pirate, and the couple settled in the Mosquito Valley.
Sheila became a model pioneer woman. She was renowned for caring
for the sick and planting of crops while the men were at sea.
Her grave site is in the small park off Pike’s Lane.
Island, a site for eagles, seabirds and whales, was recognized
for its National Historic Significance in 1981.
The Island was a stronghold for Newfoundland settlers against
attacks. As early as 1614, Carbonear Island's natural defenses
were used when the settlement was raided by the pirate, Peter
Easton. Later, the Island became refuge for townspeople during
the attacks of the French and during raids by American Privateers.
the spring of 1696, Pierre D'Iberville received orders to destroy
the English settlements in Newfoundland. As the French advanced,
people from surrounding villages of the Avalon Peninsula took
refuge on Carbonear Island to prepare their makeshift evacuation
center for attack.
The fortification of the Island in 1679 played an important role
in sustaining an English stronghold in Newfoundland against French
sieges in 1697, 1705 and 1762.
Motel & Island View Crafts, Fong’s
Motel & Restaurant, NaGeira
House B&B;, Dining Room, & Gift Shop, Earle's Riding Stables,
Music Crafts - Irish Pipes , Potters Mill - Art Galleries/
and Labrador Credit Union, Noel Motors & Transit Ltd.
& Associated Companies, and Sooleys Petro-Canada Gas Bar,
Convenience Store are members providing services in Carbonear.