Location: Hant's Harbour, Trinity Bay, Newfoundland
Hantís Harbour is on the east side of
Trinity Bay, on the Avalon Peninsula in eastern Newfoundland. In the
distance the lighthouse marks the entrance to the harbour. The
light was established at Hant's Harbour in 1881, primarily to serve
the local fishery. In 1835 , 46 years before the lighthouse
was constructed, tragedy hit the small community when "The
Fanny" was ship wrecked of the rocky coast. The ship was on route
to Newfoundland out ports delivering provisions. Each year during the
Crab Festival the community remembers with a dramatic recount of
events called "Wreck of the Fanny".
Some interesting facts about Hant's Harbour Lighthouse:
The light tower was a wooden octagonal structure, painted white,
with a small store at the rear. The fixed white light had a focal
point 20 meters (65 feet) above sea level and a range of 9 miles.
In 1931 the kerosene light was changed to acetylene gas and its
characteristics altered to give a white flashing light.
In 1957, the tower was replaced with a square,
wooden pyramid tower, 9 meters (30 feet) high, built on a concrete
foundation. It was white with a red dome and wooden catwalk. The
lantern room was octagonal so that the old lantern could be
installed on the new tower.
Early keepers included Frank Soper and his son William Soper.
Just a little note the picture submitted above came from Marjorie
Short of Hants Harbour. William
Soper was Marjorie's great-grandfather and Frank Soper was her
Commercial electricity was installed
in 1968 and B. Ash was contracted to service the light.
If you have a great photo of the Baccalieu Trail and would like to share
it with others send us a copy. Please include location, description and
copyright info. [email protected]